Thursday, July 28, 2011

40s style Super Speed

I've always believed that the various Micromatics were a downgrade from earlier models of SE razors. The OCMM is what I would call 'unnecesarily harsh', the final 'Flying Wing/Bullet-tip' is pretty close to being universally considered to be sucky, but there is a LOT of love out there for the Micromatic Clog-Pruf. I wanted to try a CP, but didn't want to spend any money, so I put an offer to trade an OCMM for a CP on the B&B. That very day, a kind member had one in the mail to me, no trade, AND he said he was including a "surprise".







That surprise turned out to be a 40's style Super Speed, and a couple packs of Gillette Bleue Extra blades. The cognoscenti seem to agree that the 40s SS kicks ass, but I've heard that before. It occurred to me that this guy threw in this razor for a reason... According to the handy Gillette date code on the back of the head it is from the 1st quarter of 1951, so it's 60 years old! The decline in build quality, plating thickness, etc., is noticeable between this 1951, granpa's 1959 Flare-tip, and the 1968 Slim that I've tried. I used the 51 before the CP, with one of those nice oily Russian blades, and DAMN - if you are going to go the Super Speed route, and there is a lot going for them as a group, the 40s style is the way to go, may as well have the best! Absolutely superb and effortless shave with ZERO irritation/nicks/weepers. I used it again to finish a most unsatisfying GEM Featherweight shave this morning, and this is fast becoming one of my favorite DEs. The Gillette TTO has never been equalled for quality, and there is something to be said for being able to just drop in a blade and go! The head being what it is, there is sadly little audible or tactile feedback. To me that's the only negative, and the quality of the shave speaks for itself.

The best news of all? They made SHITLOADS of them and they can readily be found in great shape for little money (if not for free) - they are easy to spot even in the shittiest Ebay phone pix, so you have a better than decent chance of getting real lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment