Wednesday, August 24, 2011

SOTD - WIN!








If you know me, you'll know that I like to mix it up a bit, and today was no exception. I wanted to take the E-R 1924 for a spin, but I didn't feel like stropping one of the vintage blades - "Tony"s half DE blade gizmo was calling, already loaded with a half Zorrik (1). Somehow, the dimensions of this particular blade holder fit perfectly in the 1924 (I have made a number of them and sadly no two are exactly alike. The shave was great, I love the 1924 head - it really gets to work! The Zorrik worked better than any available SE blade I have tried in the razor, with the added benefit of making a LOUD razor even LOUDER. That's what always bummed me out about the Gillette TTOs - the lack of adequate audible feedback. The one drawback to this particular 1924 is that it is from a travel kit so the handle is a bit short and crampy for my taste. SHAVE#3, half Zorrik - 1924 shovelhead with 1912 ornate/rope handle (it screwed right on). Thanks to the superior GEM handle, the Zorrik/shovelhead combo was superb. Incredibly close, loud, blood and trouble free! It has a reputation as a 'mild'/shitty blade, but I've liked them in everything I've put them in.

I'm going to repeat it in case anybody missed it all the other times - but the DE blade holder gimmick is so much more than a 'make-do'. It permits you to combine the superior engineering of some of the old ASR SE razors and the superior SHARPNESS, CHEAPNESS, and CONVENIENCE of readily available DE blades. I've had great shaves with modern carbon SE blades, but it took work to get them really sharp. I like using the old vintage SE blades, but those are even more of a hassle. 6 Badass shaves from one Zorrik is nothing I would try in a DE razor, but as I said, the pre-Micromatic ASR razors are simply more efficient than any Gillette DE product and you can really see it for yourself when you get a sharp blade in one! I've tried half a Feather and am now working on a Shark SS - incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment