Saturday, April 30, 2011

Super Speed

I love my Super Speed. It is a 1959 Flare Tip that belonged to my Grandpa.


Along with the love, there is however a fair amount of frustration. I have a few spots on the neck where it simply will not cut, but that's just me. OK, to the naked eye it just looks like a nice shave, but I can still feel stubble that other razors can catch on those spots. I got stupid a couple of times and kept going over those spots from various angles. I was rewarded with some ferocious burn. Now that I have come to terms with its admittedly limited limitations, I have thrown it back into the rotation after a long hiatus.The cognoscenti all concur that it it is a fine model, fairly mild, and ideally suited to the beginner. The build quality is simply incredible when you consider that these sold for $1 back in the day. The razor is fairly small, but has some heft as it is nickel-plated brass. The ingenuity of the mechanism is still pretty damned remarkable - its ease of use has never been surpassed. You just throw in a blade and go - everything lines up perfectly. The precision of the tolerances is amazing - a reminder of when the USA really had its shit together, and made all its own stuff well and with union labor. I remember playing with this very razor as a child (without a blade) and I obviously in no way damaged it, thank goodness. I'm very happy to have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment