Saturday, April 30, 2011

Gibbs Open Comb Traveler

To round out my collection, I wanted to try an open comb. I read about this place Deutsche Optik that was selling what they call a "Gibbs French Army Razor" NOS. Sounded worth a try. First of all, I don't think this has anything to do with the army, I think it's just a nice vintage traveler. Second, I doubt that it really is a Gibbs, because Gibbs razors need proprietary blades and this one takes regular blades AND Gibbs blades (regular DE blades actually fit a lot better and require very little fiddling to seat). Build quality is superb, as is the shave. As with most open combs, this is aggressive without being dangerous. I you have trouble spots where hairs lie flat and no amount of skin stretching or angle adjustment can get them, this will mow them down with ease.

Shipping costs are extortionate. Even so, for $20 total delivered you could do a lot worse on a NOS razor, that won't perform as well or have the European cachet of this one.

Available here, while supplies last:

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=1403

3 comments:

  1. Incredibly close, utterly irritation-free shave today with this and a "Rapira Super Steel". It works better than well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    It seems unavailable in the site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just purchased one of these off Ebay. Listed as FRENCH LEGION FIELD RASOR SETIN BOX WITH SPARE BLADES. Might get more sales if seller spelled razor correctly. These are NOS. I paid $11.79 shipped

    ReplyDelete