Saturday, May 14, 2011

GEM Micromatic OC





The "OCMM" is one of the bad boys. Most fear it, which made me really want to give it a try. For a mere $15 delivered with an assortment of blades, I got this fine example of made in USA quality. The GEM takes the single edged blades, like a paint scraper. You should never try blades from Home Depot though, just go to the drug store, Rite Aid and Walgreen's both have them on the shelf.

First, the razor itself is truly a thing of beauty - hold it in your hand, and you will be proud to be an American (if you are one). The heft, the precision, the Art Deco styling, wow.

The first shave was underwhelming. I used one of the PAL Blue blades - and they do indeed suck. I came very close to pitching it halfway through the first (WTG) pass, it was tugging so bad but I decided to tough it out. The verdict is the shave was decent, but in no way spectacular. This razor has a reputation for being badass that is overhyped and undeserved. I suspect that the whimps who cower in fear before this razor and play up its dangers have never even tried the damned thing. The fact is that (for now) I can get a better shave from my Yuma with half the passes. That's right, I said it - my $2.50 Yuma is more badass. But, and this is a pretty significant but, The GEM is truly a beautiful thing. The YUMA is nothing more than a holder for a blade - quite literally - the 'safety' bars are purely decorative.

Shave #2, I used a GEM Personna blade. Waaaay better. Still took 4+ passes to get there, but the GEM delivers. I could get used to this except I'm such a cheapskate and SE blades are 40-50 cents each and there are only a few available options unlike the bountiful (3rd) world of DE. Even so, SE is still waaaaay cheaper than carts. The second shave was good though, as good as 3 passes with the YUMA. Don't be a whimp, the OCMM is nothing to fear.

Pre and Post shave stropping on jeans has resulted in buttery smooth shaves with carbon blades.

2 comments:

  1. Dyl, you wonderful bastard! I've been eying your blog for a couple of weeks... After going to the kids soccer game looking like I'd been in a street fight, as my wife used my last disposable (dry at that) and put the cover back on it, I finally broke down and ordered a Lord, blade sampler and some other things off Amazon. (I have my grandfather's old Gillette around here somewhere, but by the time I find it I'll look like Billy Gibbons ). Discovering B&B was probably a bad idea though...

    Hope all is well at home with the family!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made a good choice with the LORD - very easy to use and great results! Watch some youtubes and take it easy the first few times, 1st pass WTG, and no pressure!

    ReplyDelete